History of Melvin Cemetery

Melvin Cemetery is located one half mile north and one half mile east of Melvin on the highest knoll of land in the center of section 36, land homesteaded by the pioneering Hunt family, who came to Peach Orchard Twp in 1867. The three acres of land for the cemetery was given to the town by the late John S. Hunt.

In 1955 three additional acres were purchased from D.B. Thompson, grandson of the late Mr. Hunt. The first pioneers were usually buried near their homes or in their orchards. The first person to die in the township in 1858 was Charles Rodenhour and he was buried one mile west of Melvin on section 3. His grave is not marked.

The first one to be buried in the cemetery was an infant son of Gerhard and Christiana DeFries, Orn, born March 1870, age three weeks. The old part of the cemetery is surrounded by evergreens and shrubs donated and planted by the late George Benz from his little nursery. He was the caretaker for many years.

The hard maple tree at the north end of the middle aisle was planted by the Woman's Relief Corp when they disbanded in 1935. The large granite monument in the southwest corner of the cemetery was erected by the American Legion Post No. 642 in memory of all war dead.

The Memorial Day services are held at this monument each year.