April 2015 Minutes

APRIL 14, 2015

REGULAR MEETING OF THE

MELVIN VILLAGE BOARD

 

Meeting was opened by Village President Harold Forbes with the Pledge to the Flag at 7:05 PM followed by a short prayer given by Village Clerk Lynn Duke. Beside The President and Clerk, those attending were: Trustees Brian Grady, Jimmy Moore, Vern Shapland, Glen Netherton & Wm. Curtis. Also present were Village Maintenance Supervisor Larry Boundy, Village Water Maintenance Supervisor Alan Thackeray and Press Rep. Jean Thackeray. Absent was Village Treasurer and Water Collector Judy Schall (due to illness)

Minutes from previous meeting were read by Clerk Duke. Hearing no additions or corrections, Vern Shapland made the motion to accept the minutes, seconded by Brian Grady. Vote: 5-yes, 0-no. MC.

Village Maintenance Reports: Larry Boundy/Alan Thackeray

Larry said:

*Siren fixed

*Should we get grass seed and fertilizer? Uptown lots need more and the lot where the Breeden house was. Board said get it.

*Gas line at the old Breeden property. Call gas company and see if they will cut off the pipe.

*Gravel ½ alleys this year and the other ½ next year.

*Asked about Park tables. Board said to get rid of bad ones. President Forbes said he would talk to Park chair (Sharon Forbes) about getting another good one or two.

*What about road work for this year. Judy told me (Larry) that the Motor Fuel Funds are shrinking. Do not do anything until we figure out the money situation.

 

Alan Said:

*Painting in pump house about half done.

*Ordered supplies and will need to order poly-phosphate soon

*Going to EPA class on water at Park Forest May 14 and 21. It is a free class. Should learn a lot.

Treasurer’s Report:

*The Treasurer’s report, such as it was, was presented by Clerk Duke in the absence of Judy Schall. There were a few questions. Some Clerk Duke was able to answer some she could not. The report was filed for audit.

*The bills that were in need of payment were presented. There again there were questions. Larry Boundy was able to answer some of them and the Clerk the other ones.  The Clerk informed the Board that money had to be transferred in order to satisfy the bills to be paid. After seeming satisfied with the answers and information, Vern Shapland made the motion to pay the bills, seconded by Wm. Curtis. Roll Call Vote: B. Grady-yes, J. Moore-yes, V. Shapland-yes, G. Netherton-yes, & W. Curtis-yes. MC.

Water Collector’s Report:

No report.

However there was a report of gallons pumped and, etc. from Alan Thackeray.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Park: Sharon Forbes

No Report

Streets, Alleys, Water, Drainage, Trees: Glen Netherton/Jimmy Moore

*Tree trimming done?? No not yet!

*Jimmy went to seminar on the Ash Borer problem. He said that in the end there is not much you can do to save a tree. You may be able to prolong the end but it will come. The cost of prolonging could be a waste of money.

*Asked Glen if he still had Brian Bina’s number and he said yes. He is to contact him.

Nuisance and Public Health: Vern Shapland/Wm. Curtis/Brian Grady

*Talked about the places that the attorney had sent papers to let owners know that they MUST fix their problems or go to court. Four properties are ready to be sent to court. There will be a dumpster at the Township shed that is to help those cleaning there property have a place to get rid of things. There will be the same stipulations on tires and paint cans that there has always been. There will be someone to pick up metals and electronics. All the help we can give people is being given. They just have to participate.

*The old gas station was again a topic of conversation. It was decided that the committee should talk with the attorney and have him contact the owners about getting it torn down. If not the Village can have it condemned and still not own the property, possibly. That too is a question for the attorney.

*Committee will report back next month with any news on these things.

Animal Control:

*A dog bit a young girl here in the Village. Jonathon Shelton took the dog to the pound. It was learned that the dog was put to sleep.

*There are other dogs running around again!

*There have been complaints about raccoons, opossums and cats again. Jonathon Shelton does not want to trap anything except the cats if it will put his other endeavors at stake. Try to find out what that liability would be to him or what we can do to rid the Village of these varmints

Old Business:

*A long discussion was held on a building that would be right for the lots uptown should we get a grant. Vern and Bill have busied themselves with getting estimates and quotes. As Vern was driving through Chenoa, he saw another place that he would like to get an estimate from. It is a process that is going to take longer than expected so it will probably not happen this year. There are those too who are wary of putting a burden on the next generations of having to own and maintain said building for the next twenty-five years. We have far to go before coming to a conclusion.

New Business:

*Community clean up day. Clerk will but up notices for the clean up and it will last longer than just one day. President Forbes will help with notice. Most of the discussion was held about this during the Committee Report on Nuisance. (Refer back to that heading)

*Go-cart Ordinance was discussed. It could be an amendment to the golf cart ordinance. Simply stated, NO GO-CARTS are allowed on the streets of Melvin.

*Water rates were discussed. In May each year the board has to decide whether to raise the rates by 3% or not. It is only the water potion of the bill that increases so 3% is a minimal amount of increase to a bill. For instance, if your water portion of the bill was $25.00, the increase would be about 75- 80¢. After the discussion, Glen Netherton made the motion to increase the water portion of the bill by 3%, seconded by Wm. Curtis. Roll Call Vote: W. Curtis-yes, G. Netherton-yes, V. Shapland-yes, J. Moore-yes, B. Grady-yes. MC.

*It was discussed that someone other than just Judy needs to know how to take care of business for both the treasurer’s job and the water collector’s job in the event of illness. There needs to be ongoing training so that Lynn and/or Lori can jump in and do the jobs without any complications. It is just smart business.

*President Forbes would like to visit the personnel salary Ordinance with the attorney. It is thought that if Judy retires, that we will  not hire another person for the same money and/or hours. We would probably go back to separate Treasurer and Water Collector as was done before. Also in the same vein, if Larry or Alan are no longer with the Village, the new hires would not receive their same pay as a starting salary. This needs to to clarified in the event any of those things come to light. Let us be clear, it has Nothing to do with the present employees!!

Hearing no other business, Jimmy Moore made the motion to adjourn, seconded by Glen Netherton. Vote: 5-yes, 0-no. MC.